If you’re considering filing for divorce on your own without hiring an attorney, you’re not alone. More and more, people who want to file for uncontested divorce are using online divorce form services to do so — and they are saving thousands.
The trend is not surprising. In recent years, we’ve seen travel agents replaced by travel websites, and stockbrokers replaced by stock trading sites. So, why hire an expensive attorney when you can use a divorce form website for an uncomplicated divorce? As long as you and your spouse can agree to the terms of your divorce, and you’re both available and willing to sign the paperwork, there’s no reason to be afraid of using online divorce forms. Filing for uncontested divorce without an attorney can save money and time, and reduce hassles. Today, there are many choices for online divorce form providers, so it’s important to read divorce form reviews from real customers and compare divorce forms before you make a final decision.
If you’re looking for the best online divorce forms, you’ve come to the right place. This website is designed to help you compare divorce forms, featuring comprehensive divorce form reviews. Below, you’ll find a side-by-side comparison chart that includes our ranking of the top five best online divorce forms providers, with a partial listing of features. For more information, read our divorce form reviews. You can also click the “View Website” button for any provider, to see what else they have to offer.
The Best Online Divorce Forms
- Yes (See Review)
- 8am - 8pm EST (M-F)Phone or Email
- Plus most provinces in Canada.All 50+DC
- Unlimited changes to your forms within 30 days30 Days
- A- rating. 16 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years (as of Oct. 2015)
- If the forms are not accepted due to the fault of Complete Case, they will make any changes requested by the court or judge (without charge), or a refund will be issued.
- The Live Lawyer feature is an additional fee.
- Will Prep Services
- Our Review
- 9am - 7pm EST (M-F)Phone or Email
- All 50
- They are not accredited, but have a A+ BBB rating. 6 complaints in the last 3 years (as of Oct. 2015)
- If docs rejected by the court due to the fault of 3 Step Divorce, you will be provided a 100% refund.
- This is available if you need it, and if you do, you will be very happy to have it. Their online negotiation tool saves time and money by allowing you to successfully settle your issues without spending hundreds of dollars on legal fees. Truly innovative and only offered through 3StepDivorce.Negotiation Center
- Our Review
- 3 Days
- USPS or FedEx
- 7am - 10pm CST (M - F); 9am - 6pm (Sat & Sun)Phone or Email
- All 50
- Hassle-free revisions for 30 days30 Days
- A+ rating. 240 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years (as of Oct. 2015)
- If request made within 60 days of purchase.
- Additional charges apply for various legal plans.
- Unlike simple do-it-yourself forms, LegalZoom provides a personal review of your work for completeness and consistency after you create your document through the LegalZip® system.* Along with a series of automated checks, their document scriveners personally review the answers you provide.Peace of Mind Review
- Our Review
- Yes (See Review)
- Download or USPS
- Unlimited Live Chat and Telephone SupportChat or Phone
- All 50
- B+ rating. 25 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years (as of Oct. 2015)
- If not accepted by the correct court, they will either correct the forms, or issue a 100% refund.
- Our Review
How Online Divorce Forms Work
1. Create an Account
The best divorce form websites will require that you register or create an account. Some divorce form websites will allow you to pay after you create your divorce forms, but most will require a payment at the registration phase.
2. Submit Your Info
After you register with your preferred divorce form provider, you will provide them with info about the terms of your divorce. Most divorce form companies have software that allows you to provide the information they need via an online questionnaire.
3. Print, Sign & File
Upon submitting your information, your personalized divorce forms will be generated for you. The best divorce form services have technology that will generate your personalized divorce forms instantly so that you can simply print, sign and file.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use online divorce forms?
When do-it-yourself divorce websites first became available, many people were skeptical. Were online divorce companies reputable? Would courts accept the paperwork? The concern is understandable. After all, people have relied on attorneys to facilitate divorces for centuries.
However, these services have now been around for over a decade, and you can find thousands of positive divorce form reviews and testimonials from satisfied customers. In fact, many of the best online divorce forms are even recommended by attorneys and legal professionals, when a divorce is uncontested. Here are some of the biggest benefits of using online divorce form services:
The biggest reason most people file for divorce online is because they don’t want to (or can’t afford to) pay attorney’s fees. Filing for divorce with an attorney can cost thousands of dollars. In contrast, the best online divorce forms charge just $149 to $299 to prepare your divorce forms. Attorneys can charge $200 or more per hour, so it’s easy to get an idea of how much you can save by filing for divorce yourself. Of course, you’ll still have to pay court costs and filing fees, which can vary by state.
The best online divorce forms offer fast service, and simple preparation. Most divorce form websites walk you through an online questionnaire, using the answers you provide to complete the forms. Then, in most cases, your divorce forms can be downloaded immediately. This is typically faster than waiting for an attorney’s office to prepare your forms for you.
Filing for divorce online may mean no attorneys — and, if your spouse agrees to the terms, no long, drawn-out court battles. Divorce is stressful enough without legal battles. For uncomplicated divorces, online divorce forms can make things a lot simpler.
Protect privacy and security:
If you value privacy and want to keep your divorce low-key, online divorce forms can be a good option.
To make sure your personal information is truly kept private, look at security features when you compare divorce forms from different providers. The best online divorce forms will include badges on their website from security providers like McAfee Secure or Norton. You can click the badge to verify the site’s credentials. This protection ensures your private information is encrypted and sent over a secure server.
The forms used by divorce websites are similar to the forms a lawyer might use in preparing your divorce paperwork. However, legal forms can be confusing to the uninitiated. While you don’t necessarily need a lawyer to file for divorce, you may need help completing the forms — and, you could miss a requirement that could cause your documents to be rejected by the court. The best divorce form providers have taken measures to help you complete forms correctly, and most offer a money-back guarantee that ensures your documents are accepted by the court.
Can I use online divorce forms?
While online divorce forms have come a long way, there is no substitute for a professional attorney — and in some divorce cases, it is advisable to hire a lawyer. You’re not a good candidate for using online legal forms if you can’t locate your spouse, the wife is pregnant, or there are issues with paternity. In marriages where domestic violence is present, or a restraining order is needed, you’ll also want a lawyer. Finally, if you and your spouse cannot agree on the terms of your divorce, online or DIY divorce forms are not a good choice for you.